Without accepting offers of military aid and without notice to the affected countries, the Algerian army attacked to the gas plant where hostage case took place on Thursday. At least 30 hostages were killed in military action, according to a source in the Algerian security services. On Friday morning, there is still no new information on the nine Norwegian hostages that are not accounted for.
– We will of course have a full review of events in the aftermath of this serious incident, said Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide (Labour) to VG.
But he added it is too early to determine whether the action was reasonable or unreasonable. On the other hand, Norwegian Prime Minister Stoltenberg said he spoke with his colleague Algerian Abdelmalek Sellal on Thursday. Sellal said that the country’s military forces were engaged in a military action.
Algerian Prime Minister told Stoltenberg that they had no choice but to take military action. Algerian authorities had worked through the night to find a solution for the situation.
– We must recognize that we here in Norway or other affected countries do not have full and complete picture. We do not have full control of the situation before the attack was launched, and neither do we have the full picture of the result today, said Stoltenberg.
Captors had already threatened to kill the hostages if the gas system was attacked, and many Western countries were concerned about the consequences of military action and called for more information from the Algerian government.
TV 2 / NTB