Norwegian Consumer Council (Forbrukerrådet) published the results of its sunscreen products test and issued a warning against 11 of 25 products sold in Norway due to the harmful ingredients. Best-selling products such as Nivea Sun Kids Caring and Garnier Ambre Solaire Light & Silky are among the failed products.
Randi Flesland from Forbrukerrådet said they recommend parents of young children and pregnant women to avoid from the unapproved products in the test.
Be Careful about Parabens
Flesland especially warned against the parabens which is used as preservatives in cosmetics and care products. She said pregnant women and children are most vulnerable to this substance.
– Parabens can impair fertility and contribute to various cancers, such as testicular cancer and breast cancer. Most people make use of a number of cosmetic products everyday, such as skin cream, hair shampoo and shaving cream, says Flesland.
Go for Swan-labeled Products
Forbrukerrådet expert also said that there are alternatives, and it is the producers’ choice and responsibility to expose consumers to these harmful substances.
– Swan-labeled products ensure consumers against both endocrine disrupters and other negative environmental effects. Unfortunately, there are few alternatives in the market here – only three of the 25 sunscreens in Consumer Council test are Swan marked, says she.
Here is the red list of Consumer Council
- Soltan Moisturising Suncare Lotion 50 + (Ethylparaben, Methylparaben)
- Garnier Ambre Solaire Light & Silky 30 (Ethylparaben, Methylparaben)
- Nivea Pure & Sensitive Sun Lotion 30 (Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate)
- Nivea Sun Kids Swim & Play 30 (Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, ethylparaben, methylparaben)
- Hawaiian Tropic Protective Sun Lotion 30 (Methylparaben, Propylparaben)
- Soltan Moisturising Suncare Lotion 30 (Methylparaben, Ethylparaben)
- Nivea Sun Kids Caring Sun Spray 20 (Ethylparaben, Methylparaben)
- Nivea Sun Moisturising Sun Lotion 20 (Ethylparaben, Methylparaben)
- Eucerin Sun Protection Sun Spray 20 (Ethylparaben, Methylparaben)
- Nivea Sun Caring Sun Spray 15 (Methylparaben, Propylparaben)
- Hawaiian Tropic Protective Sun Lotion 15 (Ethylparaben, Methylparaben)
The approved products without parabens
- Eucerin Kids Sun Spray 50+
- Vichy Capital Soleil +
- Garnier Ambre Solaire Resisto +
- Vita Harmoni Solkrem 30 (Svanemerket)
- Kids Solkrem 30 (Svanemerket)
- La Roche- Posay Anthelios Dermo- Kids 30
- Cosmica Kids High Protection Sun Spray 30
- Biotherm Lait Solaire SPF 30
- Cliniderm Ultra Light Sun Milk 30
- Cosmica Moisturising Sun Lotion 25
- Nivea Sun Protect & Refresh Invisible Cooling Mist 20
- Cosmica Kids Sun Protection Cream 20
- Harmoni med Vita Vannfast Solspray 15 (Svanemerket)
- Piz Buin In Sun Moisturising Sun Lotion 15