It is the first time such bacteria are found on brown snails in Norway, according to Bergens Tidende. The bacterium called Listeria monocytogenes, and was first found in Horten. The bacteria can cause miscarriages among other animals and people. Especially pregnant women and people with reduced immunity are at risk.
Veterinarian Stine Gismervik said to NTB that they do not know the level of danger yet.
Veterinary Institute advises people who pick large amounts of brown snails to wear gloves until they know more about the bacterium.
They therefore want people send an email with their address to the National Veterinary Institute to request a postage paid box in order to send picked brown snails back to the department