The event was attended by relevant authorities and international journalists.
Crown Prince Haakon was accompanied by Norwegian petroleum and energy minister Ola Borten Moe, Statoil CEO Helge Lund, Norwegian ambassador to Brazil Turid Eusebio, and Brazilian mines and energy minister Edison Lobão.
The guests were first led on a tour of the FPSO, followed by an official opening ceremony. The visit concluded with lunch aboard the vessel.
Journalists later accompanied Lund and other Statoil representatives on a tour of the Peregrino B wellhead platform.
Open for business
The Peregrino field is Statoil’s largest offshore operatorship internationally and makes the company the second-largest operator in Brazil when the operation reaches full production.
The operation comprises the FPSO and two wellhead platforms, Peregrino A and Peregrino B.
“Today we are celebrating Peregrino – a milestone project for Statoil,” said a smiling Lund. “I would like to congratulate everyone who has contributed and worked very hard to deliver Peregrino.
“I also want to express our gratitude to Crown Prince Haakon for conducting the official opening at today’s ceremony,” he said.
“Peregrino illustrates a long-term industrial commitment – 100,000 barrels of oil per day, increasing Brazil’s total oil output by almost 5%, and producing for an estimated 30 to 40 years,” says Statoil Brazil country head Kjetil Hove.
“We have learned a great deal about how to be an efficient operator internationally, and the knowledge will be an important tool for taking Statoil to the next level in this regard.”
Statoil will also co-host a seminar on 25 May entitled “Leveraging technology to unlock new resources in innovative ways”.
The event features an opening address by Moe and a speech by Lund. Presentations will be made by Petrobras Exploration and Production director Guilherme Estrella, Statoil R&D head Karl Johnny Hersvik, and others.
The Peregrino field is located 85 kilometres offshore Brazil in the Campos basin at about 100 metres of water depth in licenses BMC-7 and BMC-47.
The first phase of the development includes the FPSO and two drilling and wellhead platforms. A total of 37 wells are planned on Peregrino, all of them using advanced horizontal well technology to maximise recovery.
The field contains 300 to 600 recoverable million barrels of oil equivalents and has significant upside. An exploration well drilled nearby Peregrino recently confirmed this potential.
Statoil holds a 60% stake in Peregrino, with the remaining 40% secured by Sinochem Group.