US Sends 300 Soldiers Central Norway, Trondelag
Keep Updated with the Latest News and Feeds, Follow Us on Facebook
- Norway Tops the Global Happiness Rankings for 2017
- Norway Ranks As #10 For International Students, 2nd For Life and Career
- Norway’s Prison in The Netherlands Is In The Spotlight
- Foreign Minister of Norway Praised the Netherlands Standing against Populism
- Romeo and Juliet Takes a Modern Twist at Det Norske Teatret
Norway will host a fighting force of 300 US Marines at Værnes in central Norway, reprots Adresseavisen.
Several defense sources say that in a short time the US soldiers will be stationed at Værnes garrison.
Defence Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide writes in an e-mail to the newspaper that this is part of the close dialog on military level between the US and Norway.
- The initiative has not yet been politically processed in the Ministry of Defence, so we have not more detailed answers currently, says Søreide.
Researcher John Christian Skorgen by Norwegian Foreign Policy Institute believes this could be perceived as construction of a military base in Norway and that it will lead to reactions.
- This happens at a time when the relations between Russia and NATO is difficult. There is every reason to provoke them, he says.