Prime Minister Erna Solberg: The collaboration with Trump was unpredictable. Biden is a person who stands very clearly for common solutions and the United States’ role in the international world
Foreign Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide expects that the United States will once again take international leadership in climate policy with Joe Biden as president.
Prime Minister Erna Solberg says that cooperation with the Trump administration was unpredictable and demanding for the allies. At the same time, she congratulates Biden on the election victory.
– We had to be patient. Now that the outcome is clear, I want to congratulate Joe Biden as the next president of the United States, says Solberg during a press conference this afternoon.
The Prime Minister said that they will quickly establish a dialogue with the new administration of Joe Biden. Solberg says that they look forward to the cooperation in the UN Security Council, the global efforts against the pandemic, and the work against climate change.
Foreign Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide also expects that the United States will once again take international leadership in climate policy with Joe Biden as president.
– We need the US leadership in many of the major challenges the international community must solve together in the years to come, says Solberg.
Collaboration with Trump administration
Although Solberg is happy that there may be more stability under the Biden administration, she says the cooperation with the Trump administration has been good in some areas.
– We have worked well with the important core areas we have had with Trump and his administration. It is clear that Trump is a different politician with surprise and unpredictability. But we have developed important cooperation with the United States in the area of security, says she.
The Prime Minister says that security policy will also be important with the Biden administration. At the same time, she is pleased with the new administration’s clear signal that the United States will return to the Paris Agreement.
She also said they are happy about that Biden and Harris have clear agenda about the important international issues that Norway is concerned with.
Praising Biden and Harris
During the press conference, Erna Solberg praised the future vice president of the USA, reports NRK.
– We are pleased that for the first time in history, the United States will be ruled by a female vice president. Kamala Harris will now lead the way for those who will come after her. I’m sure the new vice president with her qualities will help bring the American people together.
Solberg, who has previously met Joe Biden, says that he is a person with a strong commitment.
– He is a person who stands very clearly for common solutions and the United States’ role in the international world. But he is also a person who is very concerned about developments in the United States. I see the commitment he has to human rights in the past, and the commitment to stop the polarization of American society. We need a United States that is better connected than the United States we see today.