Norwegian Liberals Say No to Surrogacy and Euthanasia
Keep Updated with the Latest News and Feeds, Follow Us on Facebook
- Norway Tops the Global Happiness Rankings for 2017
- Norway Ranks As #10 For International Students, 2nd For Life and Career
- Norway’s Prison in The Netherlands Is In The Spotlight
- Foreign Minister of Norway Praised the Netherlands Standing against Populism
- Romeo and Juliet Takes a Modern Twist at Det Norske Teatret
The proposal to allow altruistic surrogati where the surrogate receives no financial reward for her pregnancy was opened for debate during the party congress on Sunday.
Although some speakers both defended the proposal and voted for, it was still not enough for the party program to be changed. Venstre is still against all forms of surrogacy. The proposal especially received great support from the young liberals.
While the advocate of altruistic surrogacy suggested it is matter of freedom over people’s own body, opponents pointed out that allowing the practice would quickly end up as an exploitation of women.
In the congress, liberal convention decided to adopt the change for egg donation. But a proposal from Young Liberals to allow euthanasia was rejected.