Abortion Ban is Strenghtened in Norway
Keep Updated with the Latest News and Feeds, Follow Us on Facebook
- Norway Tops the Global Happiness Rankings for 2017
- Norway Ranks As #10 For International Students, 2nd For Life and Career
- Norway’s Prison in The Netherlands Is In The Spotlight
- Foreign Minister of Norway Praised the Netherlands Standing against Populism
- Romeo and Juliet Takes a Modern Twist at Det Norske Teatret
The directorate provided a legal assessment of the ban on abortion when the fetus can survive.
Abortion Act states that after the end of the eighteenth week of pregnancy, a pregnancy is not canceled unless there are particularly weighty reasons for it. Is there reason to believe that the fetus is viable, you consent to pregnancy termination is not given.
In the Directorate's assessment, it is not allowed for abortions of viable fetuses even if strong social reasons would indicate otherwise. The Ministry agrees with this assessment. Accordýngly, the woman's young age, or other strong social reasons can not justify the abortion of viable fetuses.
- This is a serious matter and it is important that the Health Directorate has made a clear conclusion, said Health and Human Services Mýnýster Anne-Grete Strøm-Erichsen.